Saturday, January 12, 2008

Mad World

Woke in time for Calisthenics and with sufficient will to get out of bed, but my body emphatically said 'No. If you are going to beat this cold, you must rest.' So I set the alarm an hour further. Arrived at Trinity just barely in time for sitting. This is the first time I have missed Calisthenics and settling in the room I noticed something like the waning turbulence in the wake of a boat.

Breakfast at Vera's and then a circle of the House Team. Curt was invited to join us and we began with some listening work. Three arpeggio's (Am, F and C for those who are counting) in various sequences with an invitation to anticipate the sound of a chord before playing it. I'm trying to develop distinctions in listening, but at this point the best I can do is that one is long, the other sounds longer and the last sounds scrunched. So scrunched, in fact, that the intervals were hard to hear. I was a bit hampered in this exercise by a stabbing pain that showed up in my left forearm. I tried working through it, but no dice. So I moved up an octave and tried to work there. A little better, but not much.

Then Curt assigned bass notes to Ian, who also had the job of holding the rhythm. MB was given two chords to repeat. I was given a melody line and IgorK was given a melody that fit in between my melody notes. As I wrote in an email to Curt later:
You know, I think today is my first experience of of sharing a melody line with another player. It is a very different experience. It changed something about playing - made it three dimensional in a funny way, as if Igor's notes created a place for me to drop my notes into. And it created a sense of making something whole with another person in a way that was even more pronounced than that sense one gets when playing a part alongside other players.
Afterwards, C. sent us a link to a YouTube video that includes the whole song (with a sweet bit of video accompaniment.) Here it is. It is a beauty.





In the afternoon, we had another appointment at the Pelayo property - this time for the rest of the team to get a peek at it. Jaxie, Taylor and MB took advantage of the opportunity.


In my opinion, the physical space (with the extra green room) is entirely workable. I trust our creativity to make it work. The challenges are all contractual. First, the amount of rent for the two spaces we'd require. Plus working out a lease agreement that protects the investment we would be making in the property. There are a number of factors in that 'protection' concern that are already detectable. And probably a few that we wouldn't learn about until we would inhabit the space.

No comments: