

The cold weather persists, and the precipitation seems to have been delayed.
Another day devoted to the job search. Applied to several positions at the Very Large Corporation here. Also found an interesting job at a local newspaper that seems written for me. Tried for several hours to write a cover letter and each sounded more retarded than the last. Finally, just a scant 30 minutes before I needed to leave for the dentist, it started to flow. Barely finished it before I needed to leave. Sent it off this evening. And yet another long shot as a garden designer/project manager that I applied for. If they are willing to take me on and actually pay me enough to live on, that would be an excellent job!
Another job prospect appears just as I’m preparing to put the computer in sleep mode. This would be a hosting an online community for a scientific research center in Santa Fe, NM. It would require quarterly visits to Santa Fe. I send off a hasty introductory email to the person who is coordinating this and by the end of the evening have a telephone interview set for next week.
The hardest part of this effort is the hours spent gnashing my teeth as I fine tune the resume for each job and prepare a tailored cover letter. Repeatedly, I encounter the same halts and blocks and end up investing hours in something that eventually gets completed quickly once things begin to flow. A cover letter for a garden design job looks nothing like a cover letter for a systems integration role at a newspaper.
The dentist visit results in a surprising turn of events. I asked for more information and a closer examination of one tooth. In the end, we find that I may require a root canal on a different tooth and she agrees to send me to a specialist to verify condition of the tooth that she suspects is cracked. (There is no evidence of this in the x-ray because of the angle of view.) She also gives me information for having the work done at the University of Washington dental school, an institution she has great respect for. And a sweet surprise at the end of the visit – she decides not to bill me for the visit! This plan is much more reasonable and I feel far more informed about the situation. And it includes obtaining a 2nd opinion on the tooth she acknowledged may actually not be cracked, since it is also the site of an old bone graft done years before by a periodontist.
Now for guitar practice….
No comments:
Post a Comment