Decisions. Funny how some decisions get made so easily and others are like the figurative tooth pull. This one might require Novocain.
Dropped by the apartment-for-rent this morning. Bright, airy place in front, quiet and secluded in back. Windows to the east, north and west. A vegetable garden that leads on to the roof of the garage. Japanese maples out front. Roses too. A gas range! Landlord immediately liked me. But a small place – very small. I would have to scale back considerably to fit in this place. Spent an hour or so in front of the computer with a hastily-made floor plan plotting out how I might fit. The real question of course is what I wish my life to look like in the near-term, and of course, how much volition I have over this future. And what I can afford.
Sat down to practice guitar after floor plan analysis – and despite the heat being on – it is simply too cold today. Even after fifteen minutes, my fingers would not warm up.
Last night’s show (Jonathan Way / Chris DeLaurenti / Martin Bland) at Good Shepard was curious. Everyone was working with pre-recorded materials. C.D. hand-played a Stravinsky 78rpm vinyl recording on a cardboard turntable he fashioned. J.W. mixed and processed sounds recorded in the mountains and M.B. presented his ‘Randomized Control Trials, a set of randomly shuffled CDs”. Throughout the evening, I kept wondering what the role of the audience was in these performances – we seemed to be irrelevant.
And now, at the café for more job-hunting/resume work. If I must sit in my coat to work, I can do it here where the light is better.

No comments:
Post a Comment