Saturday, January 19, 2008

A good weekend

Gitta & I attended the Roger Eberhard opening at the Palo Alto gallery on Friday night. I had not expected to enjoy myself, but had a great time. Roger achieved tipsy status early in the evening and became quite silly. I was given Roger’s book as a gift from the gallery owners and when I presented it for Roger’s signature, he acknowledged our shared subject matter with this inscription:

To Christina,
FLOWERS FOREVER!
R. Eberhard

Saturday morning and a simple breakfast with Gitta and Bliss. A silly cartoon had the three of us in waves of giggles.

An all too short session of guitar practice – trying to re-find what Doug and Lance taught me the other day. Visited the studio for some coordinating and picked up a few items I wanted to take back to Seattle.

Gitta is a graceful hostess. The effortless way she goes about this always impresses me. In a blink of an eye, the buffet is ready, requiring only the last minute steps executed after the guests have arrived. Friday night, Gitta and I started the dough for a loaf of the No-Knead Bread. Returning to the bread now, we heated the oven and soon had a loaf baking. Not long afterwards, with the now arrived guests, we were sampling the bread with some wonderful olive oils for dipping.

The evening was devoted to art salon action. Gitta has (as usual) been the most productive of us. This memory project she is working on has really picked up steam. While it is a very personal project, it is also a service to others since there seems no lack of children whose lives are shaped by war. My presentation went largely without comment except for EO’s suggestion that I might want to use a spray on my prints to make them more conducive to the application of pigments. I shuddered at the thought. Robin’s photograph of a church interior seemed oddly risky. While we have many photographs of church celebrations (weddings, christening, communions, etc.) photographs of a simple service, featuring no one in particular and more focused on evoking a moment of the sanctity of what is possible there are not at all common. I still have that first image she shared within my mind’s eye.

No comments: