
I don’t usually purchase salad greens in these sort of containers, but the market had a very good price on them, so I picked one up. Getting in the car, I notice a bonus in the package: a ladybug. Once home, I released her into the garden.
Someone recently remarked that my images were ‘wildly sexual’ and even speculated that making these images might explain my lack of a sex life. I don’t see this in my images myself. (And I replied that I’d really rather have a sex life.) Today, when I went out to make images while taking a walk up Phinney Ridge, I tried to pay attention to what happens. The first thing that happens is that I am drawn to something. It might be color or form or texture or a quality of light – but something calls to me. Studying it - often with the camera - I look for a way to make a visual coherence from the thing. It is this making a coherence with color and form and texture and light that is my work. This will take place within the framework of whatever is guiding my work at the time. For example, right now the ‘dark gardens’ imagery is marked by a very narrow depth of field and a tendency to expose the image in a way that suggests dusk, even though these images are made under a bright, morning sky.




No comments:
Post a Comment