Before leaving, as I considered what music I might bring for the drive, on a lark, I emailed CG and requested that he burn me a CD of music for the road. I got something better – a loan of a travel packet of 10 CD’s selected from his collection. A few were familiar – but not heard in ages. James Brown took me way, way back to my youth in Detroit where he was a kind of forbidden fruit and marked something of a social border. Most of the music I had never heard before and one in particular –Jeff Buckley’s cover of Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah- was utterly haunting.
Mt. Shasta, while not the geographic mid-point of the trip, certainly marks a symbolic mid-point, and on this trip it wore something of a cloud halo. I pulled over to make a few photos for his Wolfeness who is preoccupied with all things Shasta.

~~~~Today was spent at the studio framing work for the weekend and addressing a plumbing repair task. Also met with former day-job friends for lunch and dinner. Guitar practice to complete the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment