Thursday, April 3, 2008

Ted Talk

And yet another cold, frozen windshield, morning

Finally cried uncle and agreed to implement the firmware upgrade for the Behemoth, even though it renders obsolete all the profiling work on my gallery-editioned images. Now to see if it solves the problem – which will be hard to determine until I have printed quite a lot of stuff. And since I don’t really have much work waiting to print, well, I’m in a bit of an awkward position. This necessitates a trip to Glazer’s to see about buying some paper. But first a walk with a friend around Green Lake!

~~~~

The walk around the lake was the most invigorating part of the day. I am lucky N.W. is so flexible about these walks that they can happen nearly spontaneously. And the little ‘vacation’ into her world is as invigorating as the walk itself. As fascinating as my life is, it has limits. Being able to extend the reach of my experience through her experience is refreshing.

The Glazer’s trip was unsuccessful for buying paper. They simply didn’t have sufficient stock of 24” width papers to make a selection from. I thought it would be easier and cheaper to order online. Not so. The databases and query methods of most of these online stores is a nightmare. I own a 24” printer. Yet there is no way in any of these product searches to exclude sheet paper products, or rolls larger than 24”. That means scrolling through page after page after page of products that I cannot even consider using. This often results in frustration – and anyone designing the ‘user experience’ of such a system would want to stay as far away from that as possible. Amazon.com is probably the worse example of this. Come to think of it though, the physical store I was in earlier today wasn’t much better.

~~~~

During the walk with N, it occurred to me that I should share some of the TEDtalks here through my journal. This one of neuroanatomist Jill Bolte Taylor is fascinating as she speaks about her experience of a stroke.


No comments: