Mailed my camera off for repair this morning. It is very strange to be without my instrument. The Nikon is such a poor substitute; it is almost not even worth carrying. And I feel badly for D. who is feeling terrible about the situation. Which makes for a very circular rut of feeling badly, but I don’t know if we can do anything about it. If I was financially flush, I’d be inclined to buy a used Nikon 40Dx body or something just to get me by, but that wouldn’t be a wise decision anyway. It is weird not to be able to work.
~~~~
Tonight, I get to play photo assistance to D. as he photographs some of the clowns from Circus Contraption.
An unsolicited review of Monday's performance turned up this morning. An excerpt:
I wasn't really prepared for how amazing an experience it would be. For starters, they're all great musicians and incredibly tight. At first it's a bit unnerving, having all these really intense musicians surrounding you. But you get used to it. The pieces were all originals (with one exception: Led Zeppelin's Kashmir), and are very harmonically dense with lots of interlocking patterns that shift and confound. The sensation of hearing music like this, not just in stereo, but truly in 360 degrees, borders on the mystical. One piece was a melody that twirled around your head as each guitarist played just one note at time. Other times two guitarists on opposite ends of the circle would play the same part, and play it so precisely that it created the effect of not knowing exactly where the sound is coming from, a sort of musical ventriloquism.
No comments:
Post a Comment