
Sore knees tonight after crawling around beams and up and down ladders at Fremont Abbey in order to ensure curtains were hung before the show on Monday.Took a walk up Phinney Ridge this morning and then headed back home to get ready for the job fair. Only one useful contact from the event - which I will follow up with tomorrow. Then a stop into G Gibson Gallery to check it out. I very much like that this is NOT a photography gallery – yet they carry the work of photographers. They had a two-person show – one of whom is a woman named Nealy Blau. Blau’s work selected for the show were her images taken in natural history museums in which she uses the dioramas as a landscape subject. A few of these had a very unique spatial quality and had the affect of implying much more than was strictly included in the frame of the photograph.
Stopped at a nearby café to check email for coordination with Nathan at Fremont Abbey. This café happens to be down the street from 4Culture – the organization I visited several times when Seattle Circle was preparing its grant application a few months back. The drive from home to the job fair, and then to the gallery, and eventually back to Fremont Abbey, helped to further knit together some of the Seattle geography together. I even managed a bit of map-free navigation to get myself on 99 headed north. Only after that maneuver did I realize I had a second option – which I’ll have to try the next time I visit that area of town.
Once home, I found myself with enough time to get guitar practice in. My hands never settled in. I am feeling a need for some very basic physical instruction. For example, the pinky of the left hand always comes down on the fretted string in a bowl-legged fashion. It seems to require a bit of re-training of the musculature itself.
At 4pm, I met up with Nathan at the abbey. Harrowing curtain retrieval, stud-searching and drilling, and re-knotting the curtain ties. We - with help from Travis and a cameo appearance by Curt - eventually got most of the task done by 7pm. A few small details remain to address on Saturday. Nathan treated me to a root beer about halfway into our work - which was exactly the sort of treat that was needed by that point in the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment