Sunday, April 13, 2008

Last minute details

Sunday 10:10am: I look up from my seat at the café and see that I have narrowly missed a very long queue for coffee. I’m here unnaturally early from a gathering in Wallingford. JN came out looking for me after the gathering, but only had time for an embrace and a quick check in. We will meet during my visit to SF in May.

Today is a re-grouping day for the most part. Laundry, a bike ride and a little reading. My reading included this observation from Oliver Sacks' Musicophelia

I see my room, my furniture everyday, but they do not re-present themselves as “pictures in my mind.” Nor do I hear imaginary dog barks or traffic noises in the background of my mind, or smell aromas of imaginary meals cooking even though I am exposed to such perceptions everyday. I do have fragments of poetry and sudden phrases darting into my mind, but nothing like the richness and range of my spontaneous musical imagery.

The bike ride was my first in this new neighborhood and I headed toward the library. As I moved south, I noticed I didn't really need to pedal - it was a gentle coasting the whole distance. Of course, that meant the return trip was a steady, if mostly slight uphill. (Next time, I'm heading north!)

My ride was curt short by rain as I'd not dressed for wet weather. I was fooled by yesterday's burst of summer. Here I am at 7pm down at the canal park in Fremont. It was 75 degrees and beautiful.

If I look a little worn it is because I was. The day started early and was filled. Baked some apple goodies in the oven while I showered and got ready for the day. Gathered with the team for sitting at C's and then over to Fremont Abbey. While the team rehearsed, I sewed a curtain panel to fill in where Nathan's curtains left a gap. After rehearsal, a subset of the team stayed on to address last minute details: painting, lighting refinements, house issues, etc.


At 3pm when all energy was expended, IB, IK and I met at Curt's for a small guitar session - mostly circulating different scales and modes.

Exhausted, but completely taken by the sunlight and warmth, I headed to Fremont. Gave someone a solitude break by passing by when I saw the familiar car in front of my destination and opted for the canal. Perfect - except for the uncomfortable bench - no doubt intended to ward off the homeless.

No comments: