Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Sustainable Tuesday

Today is largely devoted to Sustainable Ballard....except for making tonight's dinner which is a loaf of freshly baked bread and Alice Water's Minestrone. The green beans are direct from my garden as is the kale which I used to substitute for the spinach. A small sweet potato substituted for the zucchini.

For reasons I cannot fathom I was never able to cook the cannellini beans. I followed the directions perfectly the first time - and they overcooked. Unable to soak them the second time, I was prepared for a very long cooking time - but had to leave the house, so I turned off the heat halfway through the cooking and just left them on the stove. When I returned from my errand, they too, were overcooked. I tried for last time this morning, using the pressure cooker, which is my default method of cooking beans. And strangely, though I had three times the water required, half the beans were overcooked and half terribly undercooked. I resorted to using the beans I thought to use from the start; a batch of navy beans I'd cooked a week ago and froze and extra portion of. I also added some rainbow pasta shells for good measure.


Minestrone
from Alice Waters ’The Art Of Simple Food’
Serves 8


1 cup dried cannellini or borlotti beans, soaked overnight and drained
2 teaspoons salt, and more to taste
3/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
5 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
3 cups water
1 small leek, finely chopped
1/2 pound green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths
2 medium zucchini, cut into small dice
2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
2 cups (about 1 pound) fresh spinach leaves, stemmed and chopped

1. In a large, wide pot, combine the beans with water to cover them by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 1 hour or until the beans are tender. Add a generous pinch of salt at the end of cooking. Drain and reserve the cooking liquid. (This will yield 2 1/2 to 3 cups of cooked beans.)

2. In a flameproof casserole, heat the oil over medium heat and add the onion and carrots. Cook, stirring often, for 15 minutes, or until tender. Add the garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and 2 teaspoons salt. Cook for 5 minutes longer. Add the water and bring to a boil.

3. Stir in the leek and green beans. Continue cooking for 5 minutes. Add the zucchini and tomatoes. Continue cooking for another 15 minutes. Taste for salt and add more, if you like.

4. Add the cooked beans, 1 cup of the reserved cooking liquid, and the spinach. Continue cooking for 5 minutes. (The soup simmers for 45 minutes.) If the soup is too thick, add more cooking liquid. Remove the bay leaf.

GARNISH

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan, or more to taste

2 comments:

Nancy White said...

mmmm, sounds yummy.

Re the beans -- were they very FRESH beans? I find we get used to the pretty old beans we find in the store and forget that the fresh ones cook much faster. And there is nothing like the taste (and the natural gravy) of fresh dried beans. (If that's not an oxymoron).

Christina said...

Not sure. Two different sources (Ballard Market & Whole Foods) from their bulk sections.

Though come to think of it, that last batch may have had a mix of 'old' and 'new' beans as it appeared they had just re-filled the bin.