Saturday, August 23, 2008

Guerrilla publicity?

My first ever cellphone photo:


It seems someone is doing guerrilla publicity for Tuning the Air. I walked into Laddro this afternoon to find a color photocopy of the Tuning the Air poster for the upcoming season pinned to he bulletin board. As I am still waiting for the posters to arrive from the printer, I wonder who would take the time and expense to do this? It would be uncharacteristically interventionist behavior for the only likely Laddro patron I can think of. But he has been surprising me of late.

~~~~

A remarkably deep sitting today despite feline activities. Melvin the Terrible was on my blanket even before I sat down. He settled on my lap and cleaned himself for what seemed like more than half of the 45 minutes.

A good Saturday guitar circle of four. The first exercise involved inching up the C major scale, a diatonic step at a time, for three octaves, in an eight note pattern, circulated among the four players. (Whew!) And then turning around whenever you reached the top C. However your 2nd note (8 note pattern among four players meant you played two notes in each pattern) still ascended to C while the first note would descend. Something made this all possible until it wasn't anymore. Like a pinprick in a balloon, I got to a point where my energy and attention went 'poof'.

Then some paired circulations. CG had GM and I circulate two different 5-note patterns. IB and IK circulated two four note pattterns. Eventually there were four different variations with all four of us circulating in pairs. I had a very, very hard time finding a feeling for the five. Got lost a couple of times. Once, I surprised myself by managing to hear where my part belonged in GM's pattern. Another time I found it hard to hear and GM counted me back in. Surprise! I managed to jump in. Twice I got the tiniest glimpse of something else playing besides my thinking.

No comments: