Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Day 2

Well I am not as efficient as I'd like to be at this new gig . . . yet!

I'm reminded of when I volunteered for J. Brown's radio show - how I entered a new world where a different set of rules applied. For the first week or two it astounded me that all I had to do to get a book for free was to call the publisher, identify myself as an assistant producer of the show, let them know what I needed, and a week later the book would be in my mailbox. Wild! I never abused this perk, though I began to understand how the show's producer survived without ever getting paid. (He was authorized to take all funds that came in from sales of the archive tapes of the show which no doubt helped a bit.)

And once again, I find myself in a strange alternative economy. It is wonderful to be reminded of this and good experience. This morning, I began by scripting out what I would say to the various places I needed to call. After a few attempts at the script, I just decided to dive in - and that taught me a lot - so I opted to learn by doing. Fortunately there were no mishaps.

No comments: