
There was an Open House at the Fremont Abbey arts center on Friday evening. Dancing, music, and open canvases with paints for anyone to contribute to.

The Tuning the Air performance team played wandering minstrels for one portion of the Open House.












Saturday began with Calisthenics. A freeform approach wherein Curt would call out a chord from C Major and we could improvise within that chord. Shortly after beginning I realized I was the only one playing with the notes ringing. I began to examine the fretboard for a different pattern. But then I noticed that I preferred what I was bringing with the ringing notes.
Sitting at Trinity – aware that this is among the last sittings in this space.
House Team began with a circulation and then we eased into ‘One of a Thousand Regrets’ by first improvising with all the parts. Each of us would work with each of the parts, trading off as the spirit moved. Then we worked on it in earnest. IgorK noticed the open A in the cross-picking pattern was often out of time, so that became of the focus of our work. In the final 20 minutes, we improvised with ‘Asturias’ as we had with ‘One of a Thousand Regrets’ – and I saw how much I’d lost my sense of the main part of that piece by playing twinkles all the time. Back into the practice rotation with that one.
Trinity cleanup from 1:30. Purging the unnecessary. Differing opinions on what is necessary. Still, the place was pretty radically transformed in a few hours. I was surprised to see the carpet go – but then again, I am perhaps the only one not averse to having cushions available to the audience.




Eve was not happy when the round carpet was cut into four pieces. She said we were 'hurting it' and staged a protest. I was inclined to agree with her.
This has really been a fabulous home for the team.
~~~~~In the new place, the utilities (heat, lights, water) come with the cost of the rent. This is good – and one of the factors that made this place appealing. It has a corollary – there are no controls for temperature in the unit. The landlord’s unit has the thermostat, and it is the comfort level of her place that determines when the furnace turns on and off. This morning, as has been the case since moving in, the place is quite chilly.
~~~~
Walking around the yard with the landlord today to learn about the garden, I discovered that there are four lilac bushes here. This is excellent news.
No comments:
Post a Comment