Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Another interview

Had an interview over in Bellevue yesterday. The hiring manager and his assistant both asked questions. It was comfortable and seemed to go well. When they got to the end of the three pages of questions they had prepared, the manager asked me,

"How would you move Mt Rainier to Oregon?"

Say, what?

I asked him what he meant? He answered by saying he said he was a pretty literal guy. I thought for a moment, wondering what this trick question was for - and decided he wanted to see how I responded to an unpredictable situation, so I began to verbally piece out the problem. "What is this Mt Rainier you want moved? How big is it, what does it entail? Why do you want it moved? -- This effort is going to require a lot of enthusiasm, so I'll need to understand the motivations. Where do you want it moved to in Oregon - I have friends there who may be impacted. What about the loss to Seattle, I am personally fond of the site of Rainier when it pops up in the landscape...."

I have no idea how my response was interpreted, but I'll bet he learned more about me from that single question than he did from anything else he asked.

No comments: