Saturday, December 13, 2008

Brrrr

Seattle is very cold today and likely to get even colder over the next ten days. It is definitely winter. An envelope from my mother delivers my Christmas wafer (oplatek) and that is really all that I need to celebrate the holiday.

Had coffee with DavidE this morning. He has purchased the new Canon 5D

A very good (if short and small) guitar circle session with Curt this afternoon. An extremely simple exercise circulating C Major among the three of us, which meant that each of us played a series of 4ths. Then, he asked me to play my notes alone in a definite rhythm. Then MB and G (it was only the three of us) were told to drop their notes in as triplets in between my notes. And then Curt told me to go faster. And faster. Though I am sure they were both challenged, I had my hands quite full maintaining a rhythm as they struggled to drop their notes in. I had to pay attention to them and yet not pay attention to them. When we managed to pull this off, it was quiet beautiful. While we were playing I noticed that when we ascended the open A note I played sounded terrible, dull yet loud. When we descended, the open A sounded full and rich. Even after I noticed it, I couldn't improve the quality of the ascending A.

A radio announcer for one of the classical radio stations came to Thursday night's performance. More than once during the show I looked at his face and saw him utterly mesmerized. Yesterday, even though TTA's music doesn't really fit his station's programming, he mentioned the project (very nicely!) and played a piece from one of the CD's I gave him at the end of the show.

No comments: