Sunday, July 15, 2007

David's World

The day began with news that my godfather, Richard Chyba, passed away last night. He was 75. He'd been ill for sometime, so this news wasn't a shock. And you could say he lost interest in being alive quite awhile ago, so there is even some relief from this news. Still, just beneath the mundane activities of the day was this awareness that he no longer breathes as I breathe.

~~~~~~~

Checked in at Travgor's to water the garden today. The sunflowers are still strong. I noticed two more red oak leaf lettuce plants - which means four have survived.


My friend David is - among other things - a fine street photographer. Today, I joined him on a walk through some of the Seattle streets he has photographed. Though this wasn't the ideal situation, i.e. 'going out to 'do' street photography' isn't really what it is about, it was still informative and fun. And hell too, as I struggled to 'see' what might be possible.








Here he is in action:

One of the things I noticed is how anticipatory his approach is. He can't wait for something to happen, he must see it coming - and he does! Having spent so much time in the studio coaxing materials into an image, this approach was instructive to watch.

I also saw how out of practice I am in 'seeing' in black and white....

No comments: